The Richard D. Latham Cultural District Partners use Arts, History, and Culture for Economic Development purposes to enhance the quality of life for residents and visitors. We do this through programming designed to highlight the Cultural District.
The goals are to:
- Utilize the Arts, Culture, and History of the community to encourage citizen involvement in cultural activities;
- Retain and attract artists and arts entrepreneurs to locate their workspaces and sell their artwork in Smithville, while establishing policies and practices that assist working artists;
- Encourage the eclectic atmosphere that attracts people to our art galleries, live performance venues, and other cultural and historic amenities that make Smithville a unique place to live, work, and visit;
- In partnership with Smithville Independent School District (SISD), extend educational opportunities to explore the arts and learn local history to all our residents through creative programming developed by LPAA, Smithville Heritage Society and other local organizations; and
- Increase public awareness of the culture, history, arts and artists to help make Smithville a renowned Cultural Destination for visitors and a wonderful place to live for residents. The City of Smithville believes that promoting the Cultural District as part of an economic development strategy will support our goal of improving the quality of life for our citizens.